This is a sponsored article from Sustainable Choice verified member Sasse Skin.
Did you know that the skincare industry produces approximately 120 billion pieces of packaging per year? No surprise then that with the planet in a bit of a pickle, some changes need to be made. The ice is melting, the waters are rising and there are vast amounts of plastic waste whirling through our oceans.
We get it. It’s the norm to pack products into plastic containers (that won’t decompose for another 1000 years, not kidding!). It’s the norm to pack those plastic containers into cellophane, then a cardboard box, and sometimes throw in a little plastic spoon for good measure.
We agree that packaging products in this way makes it easier to transport and looks pretty sweet, but we think our planet is more important that a product looking nice until the customer takes it home and unwraps it. Excess packaging not only creates excess waste, but also contributes to deforestation, increased water consumption and CO2 emissions and actually makes the product more expensive to purchase. Yikes.
Sasse Skin is making the extra effort to be a greener skincare brand.
- Ingredients that mean something – We use minimal ingredients in all our products. Every ingredient has a purpose and we do not pack numerous ingredients into a formula for marketing claims.
- Develop multipurpose products – We develop products that will address a few key concerns to simplify your routine and ensure you get the best bang for your buck!
- Reusable packaging – We pack our products into aluminium tins which are durable, lightweight and re-useable.
- Refill and recycle – We offer a refill system which can fill your original tin more than once, reducing single-use plastic, AND our pouches are recyclable. Yeah, baby!
- Cut the packaging BS – We don’t use any unnecessary cellophane or cardboard boxes that store a single product. We think our products look great just as they are.
- Recycle, recycle, recycle – We always strive to use recycled materials in our packaging, wherever possible.
We’re all in this together, right? Sasse Skin tries to make it as easy as possible for our customers to do good and feel good. Here are a few tips on levelling up your environmental awareness around skincare.
- Avoid single-use products – We’re looking at you sheet masks and facial cleansing wipes! Switch these out for clay or hydrating mask products and reusable cloth cleansing
- Explore the idea of waterless skincare – This is an ever-growing field and quite exciting to watch. Brands are continuously on the hunt for a new way to cut out the water. Makes sense, right?! Why are we creating so much waste for a product that is 89% water…
- Use what you have – Dud skincare products can be used on the body, hands and feet to avoid throwing out products.
- Choose refills – Put your dollars toward products that use recycled packaging and can be refilled.
- Choose differently – Purchase natural options such as plant-based loofahs, instead of short lifecycle plastic products.
- Support your favs – Throw your support behind brands who are making an effort to use environmentally friendly options. Often, the packaging that is better for the earth is far more challenging or expensive for the brand to use (cheers to the innovators changing the game as we type!) so your support would mean the world to the brand.
- Speak up – If your favourite brands aren’t doing enough, write to them. Encourage them to work with customers to do good for the planet. The more brands and people doing their best, the more the planet will benefit. You can always reach out to us via email@example.com.